No one will see my best work so far (I hope!). This week I began reflooring. First, though, I plumbed the drain to the bathtub location. I'll get the rest of the plumbing from below.
I used ABS plastic pipes and fittings. The ABS plastic is supposed to be a bit more forgiving of the bumps and bounces that happen in travel. It is lighter and cheaper, too.
Next, I got the old floor out and puzzled it together. Ultimately, the only piece that mattered was the round end.
I used the rotting old subfloor to help make a cardboard template on the new 3/4" plywood. I had to shave down the cardboard a few times until it fit well. Then I transferred the shape onto the wood. I almost forgot to seal the edges of the plywood, but remembered after the photos above were taken. I used triple-thick polyurethane to seal the edges against future leaks.
Getting the panel installed in one piece was a feat. I had to flex the aluminum sides out about 1/2" so that the plywood could slide under the u-channels of the aluminum sides, but above the steel frame. It's like a sandwich. The plywood is like the meat; the frame and u-channel are the bread. They all get attached together and provided the actual structural strength.
Next step is to bolt down the floor and then rip out the floor on the other side! Hopefully the front side will be easier without the tanks to worry about. If I get really lucky, there won't be any welding to do at all!! <knock on wood>
I'm not an Airstream Jedi, yet. Airstream Jedi would have sounded presumptuous, like I know what I'm doing. That couldn't be further from the truth. Padawan is a title I can hope to live up to.
Knots Per Hour
My friend Mike is building an airplane. Check it out.